Skip to main content

GenCon 2026


"Research shows that trying something new significantly slows cognitive decline and may slow biological aging at the cellular level.  Stepping out of your comfort zone builds cognitive reserve which keeps the brain sharp and lowers the risk of degenerative diseases."

Yep, that's what they say....

Last week, I went WAY out of my comfort zone and attended GenCon, a board game convention, in Indianapolis with Glo, Clarkie and Ethan....and 70,000 other people.  Ethan had attended a couple of years, and he thought I would enjoy it.

First day? Holding on for dear life.  Never felt so out of place.  Tripped and bruised my knee.  Got yelled at by two loud French men.  I may have cried.

Day Two? Followed Ethan around while he showed me the ropes of everything.  He held my figurative hand through the horde.  How to watch a demo game.  How to start a "play through".  How to "feel" if a game is good or not in five minutes or less.  At the end of the day, I surprised him with eight games that I had bought!

Ever since I got home? Non-stop action around our kitchen table.  I am literally dreaming of strategies while I sleep.  So thankful I went.

Am I any younger? *shoulder shrug*

Thanks, Cheese, for the invite!

Mark and Ethan entered a speed painting
contest for minis.
Mark took first place!

 

Glo decided to come along when she heard about
 Ethan's invitation which meant Clarkie 
came too!  He was a trooper in the crowds 
and the noise....and the escalators ;-)



In order to get free admission to the Con, Ethan and Mark act as Dungeon Masters for long one-shots of DND.  I wanted to go in and watch Ethan do his thing, but I kid you not, it was SO LOUD in the room.  I seriously don't know how Ethan had a voice afterwards.


Ethan and Glo also signed up to play in some tournaments.  Ethan ended up winning this one (despite a hard fought fight from Glo).

This was my favorite part of the experience (as Ethan thought
it would be): walking the floor.  There were so many games that
it really became about buying the ones that I happened to stumble
on.  Clarkie was locked in on watching this demo!

One of the funniest moments of the Con: Ethan had wanted to try
Entropy, but within 30 seconds of sitting down, he turned around
to look at me (sitting with Clarkie) and just did a subtle head shake.
Nope, not this one ;-)
On the second night, we went back to the hotel to try
Night at the Zoo.  It was so fun!

     


Glo kept us running across
the exhibition floor, collecting
free pins.  While I didn't
get any that way, I did manage
to get my own by either buying
pins I like, or buying a game
and getting the free pin.



We've been playing non-stop games since we got home, and we are all here for it as summer ends.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stuck Between a Rock and a Hard Place

I'm writing this, not as a complaint, but as a plea.  If anyone has any advice, I would greatly appreciate it. My children are talented.  In fact, every child that I have ever met is talented in some way.  That's the fun thing about meeting kids--discovering those hidden talents. Some of the talents my children possess are very public--you guessed it...music.  Some aren't so public--kindness and generosity. My kids are frequently judged by other children because of their musical talents.  Other kids see them as "snobs" because they play their instruments well and because they are willing to share those talents whenever asked. My kids never play with arrogance.  They recognize that they are better at music than most kids their age, but they never, ever show it.  In fact, they are very generous with compliments towards other kids and their efforts with music.  I have raised them to appreciate anyone who tries to do anything with music--it's ...

The TOOTH that Broke the Camel's Back

1.  Take an already busy doctor and install an EMR (Electronic Medical Record) in his office.  Kiss him goodnight at midnight as he begins to "preload" charts for future visits. 2.  Host a general authority of the church for our stake conference this weekend.  Receive a long "to do" list of jobs just five days before the conference. 3.  Feel stress because John is stressed.  Try to do his jobs around the house so that he doesn't have to worry about them. 4.  Have 16 puppies. 5.  Decide to build outside area for puppies.  Borrow backhoe from neighbor.  Watch John work long past the setting sun, and wake up before anyone else to dig. 6.  Use our own tractor to move the dirt.  Watch bucket malfunction, cut the fuel line and destroy the fuel pump.  Try to catch the leaking diesel fuel in a bucket. 7.  Catch cold last weekend.  Dread colds like a hemophiliac dreads a small cut.  Nurse fever, congestio...

Redefining Charity

I like attending church on Sunday for many different reasons, but I dislike the meetings for one very large reason:  discussions regarding charity. In case you don't remember your Sunday School lessons, charity is defined as the pure love of Christ.  If you were to actually look up the word in a dictionary, it would say, "See John Kennedy". That's right.  My wonderful husband is the perfect embodiment of charity. His life basically moves from one charitable act to another. Take any given Saturday.  He can found building some large structure on our property because I think we need it.  He can be found, rebuilding a pond for an old Indian woman who lives alone and needs some help.  On his way to a church picnic, he will stop to help an old woman reseal her driveway, missing one of his favorite meals in the world:  a POTLUCK! Other days?  He stops to help any person on the side of the road with car troubles. He'll drive 2.5 hours to a ...