Skip to main content

Glo's Graduation Trip to Ireland--Day Five

I never had any idea that Day Five would be Day Five.  On the way up north, I had seen signs for the "Game of Thrones Studio Tour" and when I mentioned that to Glo (she had been asleep during the drive), she looked it up and decided that she wanted to go.  It IS her graduation trip, so I was happy to oblige.

Despite John not wanting to drive the 1.5 hours there, we bought the tickets and set out.  But not before we made breakfast here at home.

Breakfast has become a beautiful tradition that I wish had been part of our family's life through the years.  Glo cooks up "bacon" which are really ham steaks, Gordon cooks up spinach and eggs, I toast sourdough bread and put out butter and jam, and we have a large bowl of yogurt and fresh fruit.  Turns out, there are blackberries everywhere right now, so John or Gordon heads out and picks enough berries to throw into our yogurt.  They are seriously delicious.

There was a series of these
large photos on the wall of
all of the major characters.
They were stunning.

We had no idea what to expect at the tour, but I hoped that it wouldn't be corny.  I worried that it might be more touristy than quality, but there was no cause to worry.  From the moment we parked the car and hopped on the shuttle bus, it was high quality from beginning to end....even the toilets! ;-)

It was an immersive experience in every sense of the word.  We began by watching an introductory surround video for a few minutes after which the curtains parted, and we walked into "beyond the wall".  It looked like we had stepped right into the show itself.



The eggs???????


Seeing this (and four others) was unreal.




   
I had read once about the prosthetic used
for the Night King, but seeing it in person?


We could add our own face to "The Hall of Faces" in the "House of Black and White"


I loved seeing the costumes, although reading about and hearing the composer who scored ALL of the music was fascinating.



There were so many favorite scenes and pieces of memorabilia for Glo, but this one tops the list.


I know I'm not in the majority, but I love the Tyrells.

I mostly took photos of the scenes I could remember, and this one.  Oh my goodness, I got emotional just seeing it.


It was unbelievable, seeing this full size and in person.


Seriously, no words.




We walked around for almost three hours, and to be honest, it wasn't enough time. There were displays about set design, and the armory, and make-up, and storyboarding, and so much more. I can't speak to everything on the tour, but it was good to have Glo there as a guide ;-)

At the end of the tour, we thought about heading out into the town for dinner, but there was a very large and very posh restaurant at the studio building.  We went in, and I walked right up to the manager and asked if the food was any good.  He told me it was all authentic, and everything served was either raised, slaughtered or grown within a 30 mile radius (that seems to be something the Irish are very proud of, and they should be!)  He told me that it wasn't tourist food, and I would probably really enjoy it.


He couldn't have understated that more.  It was fantastic--the best food we've had since landing foot on the island.  I got a hamburger (which John is still teasing me for), but John and Glo got a chicken "stack" which was grilled chicken on top of mashed potatoes and topped with candied onions, and Gordon got an open face ham hock sandwich.  And for dessert we got sticky toffee pudding or lemon cake.  Such good food..




I wish I could talk about GoT Studio Tour as much as I can talk about the food ;-)  When we arrived back at our car, we were met with a beautiful surprise:



Keeping with the GoT theme for the day, Glo and John wanted to stop by The Dark Hedges (which is only 20 minutes from our rental home).  I had heard that a couple of years ago, a storm had come through and blown many of the trees over, so I was surprised to see so many still standing.



We came home, and we cooked up a meat pie for everyone and played a couple of games of San Juan.  What a great day!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The FIRST of the Best Days of My Life

I'm always amazed when people can answer the question, "What was the best day of your life?"  For me, I've never had a specific answer.  The typical response of "my wedding day" doesn't work for me, because in all honesty, our wedding day was pretty sad with no family in attendance.  The second most popular answer of "the day my child was born" only conjures up feelings of pain, misery and exhaustion for me.  Really, up to this point, the best day of my life is anytime my family is together, and we are laughing, and talking, and ... being together.  I guess if I could string all of those moments into one solitary day, that would be the best day of my life. Everything changed though on Tuesday, October 27, 2015.  In fact, I feel quite relieved now, knowing that I can answer the proverbial question successfully and succinctly, for on that day, Anneliese Margaret Kennedy joined our family, and there has never been a better day in my life. Po

SURPRISE!!

When the pizza guy came to the door last night, here's what John saw: It took a few seconds for John to process who the pizza delivery man was, but when he did, he was incredibly happy (and couldn't stop saying "heeeeyyyyy....".  It was Jared Moran, John's best friend. And me, I just knelt down, right then and there, and began repenting of all the lies that I have told over the last four months, hiding this most amazing surprise :-)  I told Sarah the other day that I was glad to see the light at the end of the falsehood tunnel, because if I kept this up much longer, I was destined to end up in liars' hell... Jared ran the Air Force marathon with John last year.  It was his first marathon, and from what he told us, his last.  However, he called in June and said he was coming again, but I was supposed to keep it a surprise from John.  I'm not sure what changed his mind, but we sure are glad he did.  John hates runnings marathons alone, and ther

Stuck Between a Rock and a Hard Place

I'm writing this, not as a complaint, but as a plea.  If anyone has any advice, I would greatly appreciate it. My children are talented.  In fact, every child that I have ever met is talented in some way.  That's the fun thing about meeting kids--discovering those hidden talents. Some of the talents my children possess are very public--you guessed it...music.  Some aren't so public--kindness and generosity. My kids are frequently judged by other children because of their musical talents.  Other kids see them as "snobs" because they play their instruments well and because they are willing to share those talents whenever asked. My kids never play with arrogance.  They recognize that they are better at music than most kids their age, but they never, ever show it.  In fact, they are very generous with compliments towards other kids and their efforts with music.  I have raised them to appreciate anyone who tries to do anything with music--it's always a good