Skip to main content

Stuck Between a Rock and a Hard Place

I'm writing this, not as a complaint, but as a plea.  If anyone has any advice, I would greatly appreciate it.

My children are talented.  In fact, every child that I have ever met is talented in some way.  That's the fun thing about meeting kids--discovering those hidden talents.

Some of the talents my children possess are very public--you guessed it...music.  Some aren't so public--kindness and generosity.

My kids are frequently judged by other children because of their musical talents.  Other kids see them as "snobs" because they play their instruments well and because they are willing to share those talents whenever asked.

My kids never play with arrogance.  They recognize that they are better at music than most kids their age, but they never, ever show it.  In fact, they are very generous with compliments towards other kids and their efforts with music.  I have raised them to appreciate anyone who tries to do anything with music--it's always a good thing.

My kids may have some natural talent with music, but honestly, they work really, really hard.  When Mark was auditioning for colleges, he practiced two hours a day.  Johannah now practices between two and three hours a day, and Glo is building up to an hour and a half.  And this isn't just playing through music--it's hard core, technical practicing.  They live and breathe music.

We must tread lightly at church.  Something that I have discovered is that other kids in our congregation feel very intimidated when my kids play or sing anything.  There is literally no other youth in our ward who can even compare to the level of my kids' playing.  However, we frequently pass up opportunities to play because we don't want to make anyone feel bad.  When the kids DO play, it's "dumbed down" music.  I don't mean that offensively, but it's the truth.  The music is usually based on hymns and it's easy.  We don't play anything classical or seriously difficult.

This evening, the bishop of our ward invited any youth to perform at his house.  We knew that there would be a lot of piano playing and singing involved.  Johannah and Glo both thought that they should play the pieces they are currently practicing--a Haydn violin concerto, and the Stamitz viola concerto.  It would require no extra practicing on their part, and it made sense to them.

I nixed that idea immediately.  They would need an accompanist (me), and each piece is several minutes long.  Too, I knew that their abilities wouldn't be appreciated.  I suggested they pull out a violin/viola duet book that we've had for a couple of years, work up two duets from that and play those.  Each duet was perhaps a minute long, and easy for them.  In fact, they had both of them learned within minutes, and the duets sounded fun and non-intimidating.  Again, we had "dumbed down" our selections so as not to make anyone feel bad.

As they left to head off to the bishop's house, I reminded Hannah to be super supportive of everyone performing.  In our home, this means lots of "good jobs" and recognizing that everyone is at a different skill level and appreciating anyone for trying.

When they came home, we had a debriefing of the night.  Yes, Johannah was very supportive, even to those people who really struggled.

What did my girls get?

Not one kind word from any of the youth.  Not one "good job".  Nothing.  In fact, in between the two duets (only a moment to switch music), one of the youth piped up and told Johannah that she had some notes out of tune, and Gloria was slouching.

This from a girl who has never taken a music lesson in her life.  This from a girl who said absolutely nothing to anyone else.  This from a girl who made sure to say it loud enough so that everyone could hear it, and she laughed while doing so.

I was at a loss for words.  And even now, two hours later, I'm still shaking about it.  All I could think to do was call Mark--I knew that he would at least lend a sympathetic ear.  When he heard the end of the story, it was just silent on the end of the phone line, and I knew that Mark knew exactly how I was feeling.  He asked me one question:  when will it ever end?

I honestly don't know what to do.  I don't know what to tell my kids.  I have told them to take the high road so many times that all I can do is wonder why other kids aren't being taught the same thing.

When I think of situations like these, I can only think of the story in the bible about casting pearls before swine.  My kids have worked hard to play like they do, and their abilities are precious to me and my soul.  Hearing that others only have nothing to say, or unkind words?  It strikes me at the heart.

If anyone has any advice, I would greatly appreciate hearing it.

Comments

  1. I'm sorry Mama that this happens. I've come to the realization recently that people hate classical music or don't appreciate it because they don't understand it. There's really nothing for us to do when they can't appreciate even dumbed down music. Sorry mama...

    ReplyDelete
  2. When people do not say nice things, but especially when they say mean things, it points out that they are feeling so insecure they cannot take joy in what has happened. When they lash out, it shows how deep the insecurity is. On the other hand when you can tell someone a good thing, compliment them, let them know you appreciate what they have done it shows your maturity. In the realm of music, not in all areas but in this one, our kids are very mature and secure. Those who do not say nice things, and especially those who say mean things are showing their weakness and insecurity and we should pity them, though often it just hurts our feeling and makes us sad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was just talking about this type of issue with Kailee yesterday. Not related to music, but rude words issues for no reason other than to be hurtful. It is a real challenge. I don't know the answer, but I did tell her it is hard. The other girl is wrong. Not to sink to that level, but to still treat her kindly, as Jesus would. But, I also included that she should not be 'friends' with someone who is abusive to her (that is what it is). I think the key then is to not become part of the problem, but part of the solution. One way to do that is to be above the garbage, to not be brought down by it. I think that comes from understanding that rude comments like we have been dealing with and your kids are too come from problems with the individual, with their families, etc. But I would also defend myself it it were me. Don't know how to do that and be Christlike, but that is what I would do...Guess I need to work on being more Christlike!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How sad! I can't believe those kids would treat Johannah and Glo like that.. Those kids are purely just intimidated of the girls and their beautiful musical talents.

    Honestly, those kids just need an extra outpouring of love and Christ-like kindness, even if they aren't reciprocating it back to Johannah and Glo. Taking the high road may not be easy, but its definitely the right road.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, my first reaction (as someone who loves your kids and doesn't want them to be hurt) it do say something mean and nasty back to that young lady - and maybe trip her when she's walking by? But really, as hard as it is, the right answer is to continue doing what your kids have been doing. Be kind and supportive of other's talents. I do think that just because we have to love everyone and be kind to them doesn't mean that we have to be best friends with them. When your kids have to be around people who aren't supportive or who are outright mean, they can be kind and polite but they don't need to do anything more than that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That really makes me sad to read! We have some extremely talented musicians both younger and older in our ward and I love it! I don't feel like you should have to "dumb it down" at all -- they should play at the level they are at. The fact is that everyone has to realize that they can't be "the best" at everything in life and they should take joy in the accomplishments of others. It's a lesson for everyone that if you really want to excel in something you need to work hard at it, an no one should be criticized when they have done just that!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I read this post and have a few comments on solutions. Like experience leads to book deals. I don't have any fancy book deal but I have a lot of experience which makes me a biased responder.......Therefore an expert!

    1. Never ever dumb down any talents. After all they are God-given and someone will not be pleased if talents are ignored. Talents are given freely and should reflect ownership in using and sharing them. If we don't share appropriately, we are minimizing our finely honed skills and artistic spirit.

    2. People who criticize and demean true artistic expression, bring themselves down. They would say the same thing whether the artist's talents were maximally expressed or underrepresented. It really does not matter. They are bullies and have a predictable response. They demean others to build themselves up. Too bad they don't have more joy and happiness in their own lives.

    3. Confront it. Give a talk at Church, talk to small groups, write something. Don't stay quiet to avoid "hurting" the bully's feelings or being afraid it will get worse if you confront it. Talking to groups helps to blunt the bully's responses. There is safety in numbers. Asking the Bishop to give a talk in Church is a good idea. Don't hide from bullies. They will find you anyway.

    4. Pray for courage and pray for rational thoughts among the repressors. Prayer is helpful. It takes our feelings to the highest power and equalizer.

    5. The people who made mean comments would deny they are bullies but whatever you call it, they are.

    6. Always be gracious and respond humbly to praise. Say thanks and smile. The smile is the best. It melts the most hardened hearts.

    Accept talents, respond positively when invited to share them, play to your maximal skill level, bow and say thanks for the praise you receive. Then do it again. Never, never dumb down your lovely artistic skills and praise the Lord that he selected you to play his heavenly music on earth

    M-Boo.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so sorry to hear this. I am always grateful for the comments I receive on my musical abilities, especially when they come from someone more talented or experienced by me. I am grateful that your family honestly compliments others, it is a great quality to have. No one likes a "know it all". The only thing I can offer is to speak to those that offend you and then forgive them and move forward.

    ReplyDelete
  9. ok.. Sorry to stalk... but in the event that I know Elder Kennedy is coming home tomorrow, I have committed the forbidden sin and stalked... Because I'm so excited for your entire family tomorrow!!! and so don't tell Elder Kennedy because it is weird that I stalk his family blog... he will die.
    Now... this post makes me angry. I'm sure you are all over it but whence it comes up again... people are jealous and intimidated and sadly often lazy. They don't want to put in the time to be great and accept midocracy and then down play those who are better than them. Don't you dare let your kids dumb down their talent! They work their butts off and so if they can slouch and play good then so be it! Let me be the best because they worked to be such.
    maybe you'll have to have a good old family laugh at the ridiculous behavior of old fashioned jealousy.... but NEVEr not EVER should you have to feel bad or dumb down your efforts, your children's efforts or the God given talent that was found after blood sweat and tears. I feel like saying naughty bad words to people who are so stinken' lame.
    ok. rant over. Play away.. sing your heart out. Go Kennedy's go! The world is a better place for people who musically over achieve... Be over achievers!
    I know that in lublin our Sacrament meeting was blessed for the musical talent that came from the Kennedy home.
    ok. rant really is over now.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The FIRST of the Best Days of My Life

I'm always amazed when people can answer the question, "What was the best day of your life?"  For me, I've never had a specific answer.  The typical response of "my wedding day" doesn't work for me, because in all honesty, our wedding day was pretty sad with no family in attendance.  The second most popular answer of "the day my child was born" only conjures up feelings of pain, misery and exhaustion for me.  Really, up to this point, the best day of my life is anytime my family is together, and we are laughing, and talking, and ... being together.  I guess if I could string all of those moments into one solitary day, that would be the best day of my life. Everything changed though on Tuesday, October 27, 2015.  In fact, I feel quite relieved now, knowing that I can answer the proverbial question successfully and succinctly, for on that day, Anneliese Margaret Kennedy joined our family, and there has never been a better day in my life. Po

SURPRISE!!

When the pizza guy came to the door last night, here's what John saw: It took a few seconds for John to process who the pizza delivery man was, but when he did, he was incredibly happy (and couldn't stop saying "heeeeyyyyy....".  It was Jared Moran, John's best friend. And me, I just knelt down, right then and there, and began repenting of all the lies that I have told over the last four months, hiding this most amazing surprise :-)  I told Sarah the other day that I was glad to see the light at the end of the falsehood tunnel, because if I kept this up much longer, I was destined to end up in liars' hell... Jared ran the Air Force marathon with John last year.  It was his first marathon, and from what he told us, his last.  However, he called in June and said he was coming again, but I was supposed to keep it a surprise from John.  I'm not sure what changed his mind, but we sure are glad he did.  John hates runnings marathons alone, and ther