Skip to main content

SURPRISE!!

When the pizza guy came to the door last night, here's what John saw:


It took a few seconds for John to process who the pizza delivery man was, but when he did, he was incredibly happy (and couldn't stop saying "heeeeyyyyy....".  It was Jared Moran, John's best friend.


And me, I just knelt down, right then and there, and began repenting of all the lies that I have told over the last four months, hiding this most amazing surprise :-)  I told Sarah the other day that I was glad to see the light at the end of the falsehood tunnel, because if I kept this up much longer, I was destined to end up in liars' hell...

Jared ran the Air Force marathon with John last year.  It was his first marathon, and from what he told us, his last.  However, he called in June and said he was coming again, but I was supposed to keep it a surprise from John.  I'm not sure what changed his mind, but we sure are glad he did.  John hates runnings marathons alone, and there's no better person than Jared!

For me, there's a sure fire test to determine if a person is a real friend, or not.  This is going to sound ridiculous, but for me, the more stressed I am about the person arriving, the more they are not my friend. Does that make sense?  I didn't worry or stress or panic about Jared coming.  He walked in the house, and it's like he's been here for years (he even remembered where we keep our cereal...)  Sure, I change the sheets, and clean the guest bathroom, but I know there will be no judging of me, or my family, by him.  We even invited Jared to watch the season premiere of The Walking Dead.  Believe me, we don't show that tv show to anyone.  He tried to make us feel better by telling us that his kids watch Modern Family.  Yeah, I don't think it's quite the same :-)

It's a beautiful thing to think that we first met the Morans when we moved into the Bitburg ward in Germany.  Jared had been assigned to be our home teacher, and he and Sarah invited us over to their apartment on base for dinner.  The rest is history.  We've traveled to Ireland and Poland together, we've visited each other in Germany and Pennsylvania, we've played countless hours of games,we've eaten many kebaps together and our kids are friends too.  All that from a good home teacher, doing what he's supposed to do.

So, I saw the men off this morning.  All the running gear is packed, and Jared volunteered to drive his sweet Nissan rental.  The weather is supposed to be ideal tomorrow.  Good luck, John and Jared!


Comments

  1. Man, you've got me crying over here! We love you Kennedys and can't wait for the day when there isn't an ocean between us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've already convinced Jared to build a house on our land for your beautiful family. Jared says he's going to work at the Creamery, scooping ice cream to pay the mortgage :-)

      Delete
  2. That was so cool when I realized it was Jared. It was pretty unbelievable actually. We had a great time talking on the way to and home from the Marathon and we had good food on the trip and played Laser Tag on Friday night and the first game Jared one as his alias Awesome and the second game I won as my alias Johnny! He sure is a great friend and person!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The FIRST of the Best Days of My Life

I'm always amazed when people can answer the question, "What was the best day of your life?"  For me, I've never had a specific answer.  The typical response of "my wedding day" doesn't work for me, because in all honesty, our wedding day was pretty sad with no family in attendance.  The second most popular answer of "the day my child was born" only conjures up feelings of pain, misery and exhaustion for me.  Really, up to this point, the best day of my life is anytime my family is together, and we are laughing, and talking, and ... being together.  I guess if I could string all of those moments into one solitary day, that would be the best day of my life. Everything changed though on Tuesday, October 27, 2015.  In fact, I feel quite relieved now, knowing that I can answer the proverbial question successfully and succinctly, for on that day, Anneliese Margaret Kennedy joined our family, and there has never been a better day in my life. Po

Stuck Between a Rock and a Hard Place

I'm writing this, not as a complaint, but as a plea.  If anyone has any advice, I would greatly appreciate it. My children are talented.  In fact, every child that I have ever met is talented in some way.  That's the fun thing about meeting kids--discovering those hidden talents. Some of the talents my children possess are very public--you guessed it...music.  Some aren't so public--kindness and generosity. My kids are frequently judged by other children because of their musical talents.  Other kids see them as "snobs" because they play their instruments well and because they are willing to share those talents whenever asked. My kids never play with arrogance.  They recognize that they are better at music than most kids their age, but they never, ever show it.  In fact, they are very generous with compliments towards other kids and their efforts with music.  I have raised them to appreciate anyone who tries to do anything with music--it's always a good