Skip to main content

On Pain, Strength and Pride

{This isn't very well written or thought out.  I basically just vomited my feelings onto the page.  My apologies.}

Today was a no good, horrible, very bad day, and I have my own pride to blame for it.  If you are squeamish, don't read this (this is your one and only warning).

I'm now five days post-op.  As with my previous surgeries, I have a burst of energy after the surgery itself. In four days, I slept 13 hours total, and I did more than I usually do in a day.  Just see the St. Patrick's Day post below as an example.  It's mostly a side-effect of the steroids.  Yesterday, I could feel things were beginning to change.  For the worse.

I had a follow-up appointment today with my ENT.  While this man is probably the best ENT in the area, and I'm thankful that he agreed to do my surgery, he is a bit emotionally distant, perhaps even immature.  He doesn't communicate particularly well, and frequently leaves me with feelings of guilt because of my own fear.

My sinuses have been stripped down to nothing.  Most of the bone has been removed, and he took a tool that has a spinning end on it and scraped the insides of all the sinuses.  The sinuses on the side of the nose, the sinuses around the eyes, and the sinuses in my forehead.  He removed several polyps and removed infected mucous, all through sinuses that were completely inflamed and closed. There has been lots of blood and pain over the last few days, although I hear that my healing is the prime example of good healing.  No active bleeding, no drainage, and I've been 100% compliant with directions.

I prepped myself for my appointment today in the best way I could.  I found one of Mark's rowing t-shirts and put it on.  Knowing what Mark has gone through, and the strength he has exhibited, being a rower, I felt that I could gather some strength from that silly shirt.  He has been non-stop sick this year and yet has continued to push through the pain and been successful.



Today, I went in, not knowing what to expect because my ENT never tells me what to expect.  Turns out, he had an assistant numb up my nose as best she could by packing my sinuses with gauze laced with lidocaine.  He then came in, pulled out the gauze, took a 6" scope (a metal rod) in his hand, pushed it all the way up into my sinuses, and then inserted a vacuum through the scope.  He sucked out leftover blood and mucous and pulled off any scabs that had formed.  All of this while I was awake and scared to death.

Luckily, he had run into John yesterday at the hospital and had told John to have me take my pain meds before my appointment.  Vicodin makes me very, very sleepy, and I worried about making the 45-minute drive to his office on the meds.  However, I did it, and thankfully didn't fall asleep.  The meds didn't do much to stave the pain of the scope however, and while he was still cleaning out my sinuses, I started to cry.

Not sobbing, or weeping, but the tears were flowing.  As strong as I always am, I couldn't hold back the tears.

He told me that in all the years of doing this, he had never seen anyone cry.  He's had people pass out from the pain, but never cry.  He told me that I was making him feel bad, and if I didn't stop crying, John might call him up.

I respect doctors more than any other profession.  I know the stories of wacko patients, and I know the lives that doctors live.  I pride myself on the fact that I never complain.  I never blame a doctor.  I never see them as less because I know how hard their lives are.  With that, I don't want to complain about Dr. Caughey.  Again, I'm thankful for how he's helping me.  It's just my appointments with him aren't the best.  In fact, he chastised me for driving myself to my appointment on the Vicodin.

After the appointment, I wondered why I was crying.

In fact, I spent the entire 45-minute drive back home, crying.

I think I was crying for two reasons:  fear, and loneliness.

As I've written before, I had no health problems before we moved to Germany.  I was the epitome of strength.  I used to lift weights, and I've run marathons.  Even when I was in pain, or sick, I never let it stop me.

Feeling so much pain, and realizing that I can't function how I want to scares me.  He could have cut off my head today and it would have been less painful than what I was going through.  Too, I didn't know all of this was going to happen.  I had no mental preparation, no deep-breathing exercises, no "if I can just hang in there for 3 minutes of this, I can make it".  I can't scream while he's scoping my nose, and I certainly can't run away.  All I could do was cry.

Too, I felt completely and utterly alone.  Here I was, in so much pain, and there was nobody there to tell me that it was going to be okay.  I just wanted someone to hold my hand and tell me that I could do it.  I wanted someone to be with me so that I didn't feel alone.  I wanted someone to help me get to and from my appointment, so that I didn't need to worry about falling asleep at the wheel.

I have severed this opportunity because I refuse to let people help me.  My friends are busy, and I have no family around.  John had clinic and couldn't get away.  I just wanted to be able to tell someone how scared I was and have them comfort me.  Sarah Moran, if you had been closer, I would have dragged you to this appointment with me, and I would have been so grateful.

It's my own fault.  I need to let people help me.  I need to let myself not be so strong.  I need to admit that I can't do all of the things that I used to do.  And I think that's the thing I fear the most.

And I'm crying again.

Comments

  1. That's it, I'm moving to Pennsylvania and I will always be there to take care of you so that you can keep taking care of everyone else!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry. We didn't know you were having surgery but we will pray for you that all recovers well so you don't have to go back. I generally feel like doctors are not sympathetic or understanding enough. I also totally understand the fear and loneliness part. I feel like I can go through anything with TK by my side and when he is gone it does feel so lonely. I know when he is there he will protect me, like when he required a new IV nurse when the one I had before surgery once tried like 10 times and failed to get a vein. I hope the surgery really helps!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You look so skinny in that picture!! Weight loss? Lookin' good. And you are never alone.. There's always kindred spirits in your presence! Take this time for YOU and rest up. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love you Mommy nd I wish I was there for you. You were always there for me, even with a broken leg, and I'm sorry I wasn't there... love you! And keep the shirt(: You've definitely experienced more pain than I ever will rowing(:

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The FIRST of the Best Days of My Life

I'm always amazed when people can answer the question, "What was the best day of your life?"  For me, I've never had a specific answer.  The typical response of "my wedding day" doesn't work for me, because in all honesty, our wedding day was pretty sad with no family in attendance.  The second most popular answer of "the day my child was born" only conjures up feelings of pain, misery and exhaustion for me.  Really, up to this point, the best day of my life is anytime my family is together, and we are laughing, and talking, and ... being together.  I guess if I could string all of those moments into one solitary day, that would be the best day of my life. Everything changed though on Tuesday, October 27, 2015.  In fact, I feel quite relieved now, knowing that I can answer the proverbial question successfully and succinctly, for on that day, Anneliese Margaret Kennedy joined our family, and there has never been a better day in my life. Po

SURPRISE!!

When the pizza guy came to the door last night, here's what John saw: It took a few seconds for John to process who the pizza delivery man was, but when he did, he was incredibly happy (and couldn't stop saying "heeeeyyyyy....".  It was Jared Moran, John's best friend. And me, I just knelt down, right then and there, and began repenting of all the lies that I have told over the last four months, hiding this most amazing surprise :-)  I told Sarah the other day that I was glad to see the light at the end of the falsehood tunnel, because if I kept this up much longer, I was destined to end up in liars' hell... Jared ran the Air Force marathon with John last year.  It was his first marathon, and from what he told us, his last.  However, he called in June and said he was coming again, but I was supposed to keep it a surprise from John.  I'm not sure what changed his mind, but we sure are glad he did.  John hates runnings marathons alone, and ther

Stuck Between a Rock and a Hard Place

I'm writing this, not as a complaint, but as a plea.  If anyone has any advice, I would greatly appreciate it. My children are talented.  In fact, every child that I have ever met is talented in some way.  That's the fun thing about meeting kids--discovering those hidden talents. Some of the talents my children possess are very public--you guessed it...music.  Some aren't so public--kindness and generosity. My kids are frequently judged by other children because of their musical talents.  Other kids see them as "snobs" because they play their instruments well and because they are willing to share those talents whenever asked. My kids never play with arrogance.  They recognize that they are better at music than most kids their age, but they never, ever show it.  In fact, they are very generous with compliments towards other kids and their efforts with music.  I have raised them to appreciate anyone who tries to do anything with music--it's always a good