Skip to main content

Glo's Graduation Trip to Ireland--Day Eight

We got up EARLY, because we had several things to get done before our tour at Kilmainham Gaol began at 12:30.

Our final breakfast.  Ugh, talk about heart-breaking.  We finished up our last bits of bread and eggs and fruit, but we still had an unopened block of delicious Irish cheese.  Yeah, I packed it in my checked luggage ;-)

We were off.  When we had left Newgrange six days earlier, the gift shop had already closed, and we all wanted to have a look, so the Newgrange gift shop was our first stop.  Thankfully they let us in without a ticket.  I hadn't bought much of anything except food all week, so when I found a beautiful leather purse embossed with the three concentric circles that are endemic to Newgrange, I took it to the cash register almost immediately (I did do the thing where I imagined walking away from it, and I knew that I would regret it).  Glo wanted to buy some local jewelry, but Gordon wasn't enthusiastic about her doing so.  We had a good discussion in the car about the dilemma and guilt of being a "kept" woman, and what is a proper way for a man to support a woman when she wants to buy something.  No really, it's a real problem, and I would seriously love to know the best solution.

We then tripped east about 30 minutes to the B&B where we had stayed the first night.  Gordon had somehow lost his wedding ring while there, and thankfully the staff ended up finding it.

We then drove into Dublin to arrive in time for our tour of Kilmainham Gaol (or the jail).  The Gaol is a hot ticket in Dublin (listed as the top-rated tourist destination), and the tickets are, in fact, difficult to get.  The OPW releases the tickets 30 days before a tour, but sometimes they released them 33 days before and sometimes 28.  Or sometimes they release a week at a time.  Whatever the case, I had been checking daily for a couple of weeks leading up to a month out.  One night in Cayman, after the midnight bell had struck, I had the idea to check again.  Sure enough, the tickets for the day we wanted to visit the jail had been released just 17 minutes earlier...and there were only 11 tickets left for the entire day.  Needless to say, we didn't have our pick of our tour time (or I certainly wouldn't have yeeted out of Northern Ireland quite so early in the morning).  We found a spot to park directly across from the entrance and walked in.  It had been several hours since we had eaten breakfast, and there was a little cafe.  With 15 minutes to spare before our tour started, we ordered two trays of food and horked it down (John is happy to have an eating comrade in Gordon).  I personally was happy to have my scone and cream ;-)

The jail is intense, and I suspect for the Irish, very moving.  We still attempt to grasp the whole Irish independence from Britain, and the reasons why not all of the counties belong to Ireland proper, so when heroes' names were being thrown around, and when our tour guide asked for a moment of silence amid emotion, we were respectful but honestly pretty clueless.  But the idea of the jail.  Wow.  I'll let the pictures do the talking:





















I had been having trouble with my back almost the entire week.  That's what happens when I'm stuck on an airplane for hours, followed by sitting in a car for more hours, and then standing for hours on tours.  At times, I would have to crouch down to just stretch out my back.  I wanted to read all of the information in the displays, but there was a bench with my name on it that offered my aching back some relief.

After we left, we checked into our hotel, the Crowne Plaza near the airport.  It was only when I was presented with luxury again did I realize that we had settled quite easily into the country life.  No lumpy beds at the Crowne Plaza ;-) Glo and John went running one last time, and I took a quick nap.

We then headed to The Merry Ploughboy for dinner and a show.

I love going to The Merry Ploughboy.  There's nothing like delicious Irish food, fantastic Irish music played on authentic instruments, and Irish teenagers dancing Irish dances.  Turns out, the evening made everyone's lists of one of their favorite activities of the week, including Gordon!  In fact, when we were warned of audience participation (and I do everything to appear busy doing anything that prevents them from choosing me), Gordon hopped right up when the cute Irish girl asked him to come up and dance!  That was a first for our family at The Merry Ploughboy and was so sweet, seeing him up on stage! (I have screen grabs from my video)



We bought our requisite t-shirts and magnets before setting back off into the night back to our hotel to prepare to fly home the next day.  Or so we thought....




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The FIRST of the Best Days of My Life

I'm always amazed when people can answer the question, "What was the best day of your life?"  For me, I've never had a specific answer.  The typical response of "my wedding day" doesn't work for me, because in all honesty, our wedding day was pretty sad with no family in attendance.  The second most popular answer of "the day my child was born" only conjures up feelings of pain, misery and exhaustion for me.  Really, up to this point, the best day of my life is anytime my family is together, and we are laughing, and talking, and ... being together.  I guess if I could string all of those moments into one solitary day, that would be the best day of my life. Everything changed though on Tuesday, October 27, 2015.  In fact, I feel quite relieved now, knowing that I can answer the proverbial question successfully and succinctly, for on that day, Anneliese Margaret Kennedy joined our family, and there has never been a better day in my life. Po

SURPRISE!!

When the pizza guy came to the door last night, here's what John saw: It took a few seconds for John to process who the pizza delivery man was, but when he did, he was incredibly happy (and couldn't stop saying "heeeeyyyyy....".  It was Jared Moran, John's best friend. And me, I just knelt down, right then and there, and began repenting of all the lies that I have told over the last four months, hiding this most amazing surprise :-)  I told Sarah the other day that I was glad to see the light at the end of the falsehood tunnel, because if I kept this up much longer, I was destined to end up in liars' hell... Jared ran the Air Force marathon with John last year.  It was his first marathon, and from what he told us, his last.  However, he called in June and said he was coming again, but I was supposed to keep it a surprise from John.  I'm not sure what changed his mind, but we sure are glad he did.  John hates runnings marathons alone, and ther

Stuck Between a Rock and a Hard Place

I'm writing this, not as a complaint, but as a plea.  If anyone has any advice, I would greatly appreciate it. My children are talented.  In fact, every child that I have ever met is talented in some way.  That's the fun thing about meeting kids--discovering those hidden talents. Some of the talents my children possess are very public--you guessed it...music.  Some aren't so public--kindness and generosity. My kids are frequently judged by other children because of their musical talents.  Other kids see them as "snobs" because they play their instruments well and because they are willing to share those talents whenever asked. My kids never play with arrogance.  They recognize that they are better at music than most kids their age, but they never, ever show it.  In fact, they are very generous with compliments towards other kids and their efforts with music.  I have raised them to appreciate anyone who tries to do anything with music--it's always a good