Skip to main content

Glo's Graduation Trip to Ireland--Day Three

Today started out with SO. MUCH. PROMISE, but as I write this, I find that I am once in again in one of the miserable situations I frequently find myself in on vacations.

I could hardly believe the view out my window this morning.  We had pulled in late last night, and I obviously couldn't see anything that wasn't sitting in the view of the car's headlights, so it was a delight to wake up to green, even without any sunshine.

John and Glo were headed out running, and I wanted to get outside as well so I put on my tennis shoes and headed out.  The roads here are too skinny to walk on without peril to one's life, so I walked one of the farming paths.  I was set to listen to my scriptures, but I was overwhelmed with the beauty of the moment, so I turned to my voice memo app.  On it, I have music recorded by my family over the years, and two very appropriate songs for the moment were "All Things Bright and Beautiful" with Hannah and Glo on strings and me on piano, and Glo singing "The Curra Road" with guitar.  If it weren't for my stupid bunion, I could have walked forever, but I called it at 2.5 miles.





















It was really sweet to see John and Glo out running.  When John ran the Causeway when Glo was a baby, we never could've imagined that everything would come full-circle someday.

Can you spot them?

Then, we needed to go grocery shopping seeing as we're staying in a beautiful house with a full kitchen.  Normally that event wouldn't be blog-worthy, but being in Northern Ireland, shopping is so fun!  We all headed to Tesco in Coleraine, about a 25-minute drive away.

We got out of there for £150, but not before Glo noticed a "Kiln Dried Wood" self kiosk.  I won't even go into the fact that it was next to an egg self-kiosk (where we could pick the name of the hen whose eggs we wanted).  As we all know, Glo loves fire, and she was all set to build us a fire in our fireplace at home.  So she and John picked up a large parcel of ash and threw it in the back of the car #onlyinnorthernireland



Then it was time to come home, turn up the thermometer from 10° C, build a fire and relax.  This is something I think we all needed to do, it was raining outside, and with the heat turning on, it just felt perfect.  Until it was dinner time....

John had bought chicken breasts, and he wanted to grill them.  I suggested using the George Foreman grill in our home, but it wanted to use a grill outside.  We had bought potatoes, but we didn't have any oil to roast them, and we didn't have other "veg".  Glo and I ran into Bushmills to buy everything we needed.  The chicken ended up being done much earlier than the veg, and John was hangry so everything went south as he demanded we not wait to eat and didn't want any of the rest of us to wait even though we wanted the complete meal on our plates before we started eating.

We watched "The Watchers", a movie set in Ireland, with bruised emotions and then went to bed.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The FIRST of the Best Days of My Life

I'm always amazed when people can answer the question, "What was the best day of your life?"  For me, I've never had a specific answer.  The typical response of "my wedding day" doesn't work for me, because in all honesty, our wedding day was pretty sad with no family in attendance.  The second most popular answer of "the day my child was born" only conjures up feelings of pain, misery and exhaustion for me.  Really, up to this point, the best day of my life is anytime my family is together, and we are laughing, and talking, and ... being together.  I guess if I could string all of those moments into one solitary day, that would be the best day of my life. Everything changed though on Tuesday, October 27, 2015.  In fact, I feel quite relieved now, knowing that I can answer the proverbial question successfully and succinctly, for on that day, Anneliese Margaret Kennedy joined our family, and there has never been a better day in my life. Po

SURPRISE!!

When the pizza guy came to the door last night, here's what John saw: It took a few seconds for John to process who the pizza delivery man was, but when he did, he was incredibly happy (and couldn't stop saying "heeeeyyyyy....".  It was Jared Moran, John's best friend. And me, I just knelt down, right then and there, and began repenting of all the lies that I have told over the last four months, hiding this most amazing surprise :-)  I told Sarah the other day that I was glad to see the light at the end of the falsehood tunnel, because if I kept this up much longer, I was destined to end up in liars' hell... Jared ran the Air Force marathon with John last year.  It was his first marathon, and from what he told us, his last.  However, he called in June and said he was coming again, but I was supposed to keep it a surprise from John.  I'm not sure what changed his mind, but we sure are glad he did.  John hates runnings marathons alone, and ther

Stuck Between a Rock and a Hard Place

I'm writing this, not as a complaint, but as a plea.  If anyone has any advice, I would greatly appreciate it. My children are talented.  In fact, every child that I have ever met is talented in some way.  That's the fun thing about meeting kids--discovering those hidden talents. Some of the talents my children possess are very public--you guessed it...music.  Some aren't so public--kindness and generosity. My kids are frequently judged by other children because of their musical talents.  Other kids see them as "snobs" because they play their instruments well and because they are willing to share those talents whenever asked. My kids never play with arrogance.  They recognize that they are better at music than most kids their age, but they never, ever show it.  In fact, they are very generous with compliments towards other kids and their efforts with music.  I have raised them to appreciate anyone who tries to do anything with music--it's always a good