Skip to main content

Glo's Graduation Trip to Ireland--Day Six

With only two days left in the North, we knew we needed to get serious about planning out the remaining time so we got on the computer and bought tickets for the remaining visits.

Since we are here in the off-season, and since the weather has been so dodgy, we've found that many of the sites are fairly easy to book (not Newgrange or the Gaol in Dublin however).  Carrick-a-rede bridge, a Kennedy classic, had a million tickets available.

Thankfully, the rain held for most of the day today (and even if it hadn't, we would've been prepared as always).  But shoot, the views on a clear day from the top of Carrick-a-rede can't be beat.  We could honestly see the shore of Scotland.



It was a beautiful walk out to the bridge.  We tried our best to get some good shots of "the Bridges" but the rangers kept us going fairly steadily across the bridge.





One interesting thing that we'd never seen before: between each group that would go across, a ranger would walk out to the middle of the bridge with his anemometer, a hand-held device that measures the wind speed.  We asked him what the winds were--they were sitting at 32 mph.  We then asked him if they shut down the bridge at some point.  Yes, at 35 mph.  So yeah, they were monitoring it pretty closely.

Now listen, I've been across that bridge many a time, but never with wind speeds like today.  It was a *wee* bit frightening!

But again, the views!








On the way back, we found some European goldfinches splashing around in a river, and they were fun to watch. There were also European robins hanging out in the bushes.



John had been asking if we could visit Dunseverick castle for which he had seen the signs.  We pulled over to the marked parking lot....and saw one column of ruins.  However, it was like the Alps between the car park and the column, so I opted to stay in the car and take photos of the three more adventurous people.  Five minutes later, they were back in the car ;-)

I told them that this photo reminds me of the final credit scene from The Sound of Music when the family is escaping Austria.  All we need is "Climb Every Mountain" playing in the background! (Notice the other people in the bottom center to get perspective....)

We then came home, had a lunch of grilled cheese sandwiches and tomato soup, G&G took short naps, and we were off again.

Dunluce Castle was our next and final stop for the day.  I love this castle because it's the perfect mix of ruins (and not all reconstruction) but enough ruins (and not just a single column).  I love the guide as well--it takes us through each room with one paragraph of information, leaving enough room for our imagination.








As we looked off the cliff, we could see wedding pictures happening.  Wow, what pictures those will be.  At the end of the tour, we ran into a couple of people from the wedding party, trying to sneak in a visit to the castle.  Turns out they were from Utah, and yes, they were LDS.  What an amazing place for a wedding, for sure, but as John puts it, you don't need to worry about rain and wind in the temple ;-)

We came home and made chicken, roasted potatoes and roasted carrots.  John found these amazing spice mixes at Tesco that include the bags for the meat.  Put everything in the bag, put it in the oven for 40 minutes, and it comes out perfect.  Yes, we're headed to Tesco tomorrow to buy about 50 more of them for home.

And with that, it's been really fun cooking at home with everybody here.  Groceries are so inexpensive here, and everything comes packaged easy to cook.  I really wish we had this kind of ease in the States.  And everybody chips in, and dinner is effortlessly ready within an hour.  I really have loved it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The FIRST of the Best Days of My Life

I'm always amazed when people can answer the question, "What was the best day of your life?"  For me, I've never had a specific answer.  The typical response of "my wedding day" doesn't work for me, because in all honesty, our wedding day was pretty sad with no family in attendance.  The second most popular answer of "the day my child was born" only conjures up feelings of pain, misery and exhaustion for me.  Really, up to this point, the best day of my life is anytime my family is together, and we are laughing, and talking, and ... being together.  I guess if I could string all of those moments into one solitary day, that would be the best day of my life. Everything changed though on Tuesday, October 27, 2015.  In fact, I feel quite relieved now, knowing that I can answer the proverbial question successfully and succinctly, for on that day, Anneliese Margaret Kennedy joined our family, and there has never been a better day in my life. Po

SURPRISE!!

When the pizza guy came to the door last night, here's what John saw: It took a few seconds for John to process who the pizza delivery man was, but when he did, he was incredibly happy (and couldn't stop saying "heeeeyyyyy....".  It was Jared Moran, John's best friend. And me, I just knelt down, right then and there, and began repenting of all the lies that I have told over the last four months, hiding this most amazing surprise :-)  I told Sarah the other day that I was glad to see the light at the end of the falsehood tunnel, because if I kept this up much longer, I was destined to end up in liars' hell... Jared ran the Air Force marathon with John last year.  It was his first marathon, and from what he told us, his last.  However, he called in June and said he was coming again, but I was supposed to keep it a surprise from John.  I'm not sure what changed his mind, but we sure are glad he did.  John hates runnings marathons alone, and ther

Stuck Between a Rock and a Hard Place

I'm writing this, not as a complaint, but as a plea.  If anyone has any advice, I would greatly appreciate it. My children are talented.  In fact, every child that I have ever met is talented in some way.  That's the fun thing about meeting kids--discovering those hidden talents. Some of the talents my children possess are very public--you guessed it...music.  Some aren't so public--kindness and generosity. My kids are frequently judged by other children because of their musical talents.  Other kids see them as "snobs" because they play their instruments well and because they are willing to share those talents whenever asked. My kids never play with arrogance.  They recognize that they are better at music than most kids their age, but they never, ever show it.  In fact, they are very generous with compliments towards other kids and their efforts with music.  I have raised them to appreciate anyone who tries to do anything with music--it's always a good