Skip to main content

Glo's Graduation Trip to Ireland--Day Four

How can it be that we have already been here four days? It feels like we just arrived yesterday, and yet it feels like we've done enough things to fill a week.

We had big plans for the day, seeing as I had bought tickets months ago for us to visit The Giant's Causeway, a Kennedy classic and favorite.  I was especially excited for Glo who counts it as a core childhood memory, and I hoped beyond hope that Gordon would share in some of Glo's love of the place.

We have always had really good luck with the weather in Ireland (minus the one trip to County Clare when the kids were young which ended in constant rain the entire week).  I've been checking the weather and by all counts, it should be just a "wee" bit windy.  However, I believe the luck o' the Irish has run out for the Kennedy clan, because we have had some WEATHER.  So when I saw that today was supposed to be overcast with some wind, I didn't believe it (but I secretly hoped for it).  I made sure everyone had a rain coat as we headed out the door.

And good thing, because I think we encountered four or five different weather systems in the three hours we were hiking around the Causeway.  Sun, partial sun, rain, gale-force winds...and all of those things mixed together in one.  The winds were clocking in at 33 mph.  For reference, the rangers close the Causeway at 40 mph, and the strongest winds they've had this year were back in April at 66 mph.  Seriously, we've never seen waves like the ones we saw today, breaking on the rocks.  It was awesome, and a bit scary (it was na, na skerrie) :-)

We had a great ranger on our guided tour, and thankfully we had earpieces because there's no way we could've heard him over the wind and waves.  There were times afterwards, when we were crawling around on the stones, that the wind was pushing me over because it was so strong.  But we got the requisite photos at the site that I will cherish forever.  We even went down to the black basalt rocks which remain clean because they are constantly washed by the sea water.

Don't be fooled by those blue skies.  They lasted all of ten minutes!







  



See the waves?!?


 




Gordon seemed to actually enjoy it.  We don't get much emotion from him ever, but he and Glo were running around on the rocks like a couple of billy goats.  It was fun to see and gives me a small glimpse into the kind of activities I should work into any vacation for him in the future.

Then we headed down the shore line, and the rain started.  It was a *cue National Geographic music* moment, because we were getting drenched and fighting the wind as we starting hiking up the side of the cliff.  But never fear, ten minutes later the sun was shining, and Glo and Gordon were taking off their rain jackets because it was so warm.

How many iterations of this photo do have from the years? Certainly no photo with THESE waves!

Raspberries are everywhere right now...

...and John and Gordon are eating ALL of them!
















A recreation of an identical picture from years ago.  John even wore the same identifiable shirt ;-)

We climbed up the Shepherd's steps instead of just heading straight back to the visitor's center, and the views were as captivating as always, if nearly impossible to soak in because of the wind.

Glo's lean is real!


We could've spent so much money in the gift shop but walked out with only a few trinkets.  We then headed to the Hip Chip in Bushmills.

I have dreamt of the fish and chips at the Hip Chip for years--we last visited in 2017.  In fact, all other fish and chips I compare to the Hip Chip.  I remember the pieces of fish were HUGE when we went last, and the ratio of batter to everything else was perfect.


Not only was there a super snarky cashier, but the food was lackluster.  A skinny little filet which I could hardly taste or even find in the thick batter.  The fries were decent, and I was glad to have some Diet Coke, but man, it was disappointing.  Kind of like when we went back to Speicher and discovered Roma's had closed.  No more tortellini gorgonzola there, and no more stellar fish and chips this time.

It's okay.  We drove ten doors down to the local grocery store and bought ourselves some dish soap and a lot of ice cream ;-)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The FIRST of the Best Days of My Life

I'm always amazed when people can answer the question, "What was the best day of your life?"  For me, I've never had a specific answer.  The typical response of "my wedding day" doesn't work for me, because in all honesty, our wedding day was pretty sad with no family in attendance.  The second most popular answer of "the day my child was born" only conjures up feelings of pain, misery and exhaustion for me.  Really, up to this point, the best day of my life is anytime my family is together, and we are laughing, and talking, and ... being together.  I guess if I could string all of those moments into one solitary day, that would be the best day of my life. Everything changed though on Tuesday, October 27, 2015.  In fact, I feel quite relieved now, knowing that I can answer the proverbial question successfully and succinctly, for on that day, Anneliese Margaret Kennedy joined our family, and there has never been a better day in my life. Po

SURPRISE!!

When the pizza guy came to the door last night, here's what John saw: It took a few seconds for John to process who the pizza delivery man was, but when he did, he was incredibly happy (and couldn't stop saying "heeeeyyyyy....".  It was Jared Moran, John's best friend. And me, I just knelt down, right then and there, and began repenting of all the lies that I have told over the last four months, hiding this most amazing surprise :-)  I told Sarah the other day that I was glad to see the light at the end of the falsehood tunnel, because if I kept this up much longer, I was destined to end up in liars' hell... Jared ran the Air Force marathon with John last year.  It was his first marathon, and from what he told us, his last.  However, he called in June and said he was coming again, but I was supposed to keep it a surprise from John.  I'm not sure what changed his mind, but we sure are glad he did.  John hates runnings marathons alone, and ther

Stuck Between a Rock and a Hard Place

I'm writing this, not as a complaint, but as a plea.  If anyone has any advice, I would greatly appreciate it. My children are talented.  In fact, every child that I have ever met is talented in some way.  That's the fun thing about meeting kids--discovering those hidden talents. Some of the talents my children possess are very public--you guessed it...music.  Some aren't so public--kindness and generosity. My kids are frequently judged by other children because of their musical talents.  Other kids see them as "snobs" because they play their instruments well and because they are willing to share those talents whenever asked. My kids never play with arrogance.  They recognize that they are better at music than most kids their age, but they never, ever show it.  In fact, they are very generous with compliments towards other kids and their efforts with music.  I have raised them to appreciate anyone who tries to do anything with music--it's always a good