Skip to main content

Going Back to Middle School

Middle School.  That's a weird term that my kids have used to describe sixth through eighth grade.  When I was growing up, it was "junior high".  Whatever the name, I think it's still the same experience ;-)

I've been accompanying the Slauson Middle School choir for the last year.  I love the gig.  The music is never very hard, I get out and have a life with someone other than the cats and dogs, Mr. Steck (the choir director) thinks I am God's gift to the piano, and I get paid in restaurant gift cards.  What's not to love?

Not wanting to set a bad example, I don't like to pull out my phone to take pictures of the experience.  But John has never remembered to take a picture of me at concerts (even when I was playing on my old high school stage).  So I snapped a quick one at rehearsal.  It's a really funny picture though because it looks like two boys are dancing.  Really, they were practicing moves for a funny Christmas song, and I couldn't help but chuckle at the awkwardness of all of those young teenagers.

I love this gig.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Johannah's Talk

Good afternoon brothers and sisters. As they said, my name is Johannah Kennedy, and I was asked to speak on Growing in the Gospel without judgement. When Brother Bartmess extended this invitation to me, I asked if he wanted me to focus on how to let go of our judgment of others in order to grow in the Gospel, or how to grow in Gospel when we feel judged by others. He paused, smiled, and said, “Both.” So, I’m going to do my very best to cover both topics in fifteen minutes.   I want to start by talking about how to let go of our natural tendency to judge others in order to grow in the Gospel. Unfortunately, the temptation to notice the weaknesses of those around us is often too hard to resist, and sometimes, we do it without even realizing it. When we meet someone for the first time, our minds naturally assess their appearance, their voice, their facial expressions, and their way of interacting with others. This first impression can often mean the difference between our inclination to e

The FIRST of the Best Days of My Life

I'm always amazed when people can answer the question, "What was the best day of your life?"  For me, I've never had a specific answer.  The typical response of "my wedding day" doesn't work for me, because in all honesty, our wedding day was pretty sad with no family in attendance.  The second most popular answer of "the day my child was born" only conjures up feelings of pain, misery and exhaustion for me.  Really, up to this point, the best day of my life is anytime my family is together, and we are laughing, and talking, and ... being together.  I guess if I could string all of those moments into one solitary day, that would be the best day of my life. Everything changed though on Tuesday, October 27, 2015.  In fact, I feel quite relieved now, knowing that I can answer the proverbial question successfully and succinctly, for on that day, Anneliese Margaret Kennedy joined our family, and there has never been a better day in my life. Po

The Little (Polka-Dotted) Dress

Johannah is growing up. This pains me to no end. I know, I know.  I can hear my visiting teachers even now--"Now Larisa, you know this is a good thing." No it's not.  In fact, it kills me to see it happening. She is taller than me now at 5'9".  She wears my shoe size when it's convenient and my shoes match her outfit better, even though she wears a half size larger than I do.  Her hair is the hair that I would die to have.  I know she's counting down the days until she gets her braces off (I think we are at 57 days).  But braces, or no, she's growing up. One of the hardest things for us to find is modest dresses that are cute.  Being so tall, most dresses that would be modest are really short on her.  Or, something that I've noticed about fashion, is that if the dress is actually long, the designer must make up for the lack of skin that is showing by giving the dress a plunging neckline.  I don't even know how many camisoles Hannah o