Skip to main content

Glo's Graduation from BYU

Despite this post being marked in April, I'm writing it in November.  I was sitting across from Glo tonight at dinner, and she was recounting how she has such bad feelings about her college graduation.  Maybe disappointed feelings would be a better description, and it made me realize that I hadn't written about it.

Glo might suffer a bit from the disease I gave her: tending to focus on the one negative experience versus several good experiences.  No joke, I can easily recount fights John and I have had while on vacation, but I frequently forget the surrounding good moments.  And this, friends, is why it's beneficial to record our lives.  Our memories will not be perfect, but writing things down when they happen produces a far more accurate account of how things were.  So let me do the best I can in recounting how I remember the four days.

Several of us were arriving at different times.  Gordon was already there from Arizona, Hannah and I traveled together, John arrived afterwards, and Mark came the day before the actual ceremony.

When we got there, we did what we Kennedys always do: we headed to the temple.  Nothing makes me happier than being in the temple with my family.  I was surprised to see the veil worker holding a card with the entire ceremony on it.  I assumed it was for her, but six months down the line, all veil workers at all temples are now using them to "contain the whispering" that happens and to alleviate stress for the patrons. Who knew?  

The next morning, I got up SO EARLY because Glo wanted me to come to school on her last day of teaching to meet the kids and to see her teach.  She also wanted to perform for the kids so I put on my very best "business casual" clothes and got there bright and early.

Turns out, her mentor teacher could've cared less about her in every aspect.  She didn't stay to hear Glo play nor even make a big deal about the kids listening to us (something Mr. Knapp would NEVER have allowed).  So we played, but really we played to a room of kids coming and going.  But it sure was fun to see Glo conducting her students.  Turns out, they had a competition later in the day that I was also invited to attend.

In the meantime, Hannah had a date set up.  It was the nephew of Lesley Jones, the former temple matron and a dear friend.  She loves little Hannie like a daughter and assumed that her nephew would love Hannie just as much.  So Hannah went one way while I went by myself to see Glo's orchestra.

Sure enough, I showed up to hear her larger orchestra play.  I had been hearing Glo talk about the music and the kids for an entire semester, so it was fun to sit front row, center in an almost empty auditorium (excepting the judges) and just watch Glo do her thing.

And man, she sure does know her thing.  It fills me with so much pride to know that she has worked for this degree and has EARNED it. It also leads to comparisons to myself which are painful, but instead of focusing on what I don't have, I'm so proud of her for what she DOES have: a degree.  She will never look at a job that she knows she can do, but not have the qualifications to do it.  

We then wanted to celebrate her last day of teaching by eating at The Melting Pot.  Unfortunately, Gordon didn't get his crap together (literally) to be there at dinner.  It was incredibly disappointing for Glo.

I went straight to the airport that evening to pick up Mark, and we went to bed because the next morning was commencement!

I love commencement.  I love seeing the multitudes of graduates who have accomplished so much. Too, the speakers are top-notch, and it's just a great, celebratory experience.  And to be honest, my eyes always well with tears, knowing that one of my children is sitting in the group of such accomplished individuals.

Walking to the ceremony, there was a Hawaiian couple selling ribbon leis in BYU colors.  I've never been so happy for John's spontaneous spirit, because not only did he get a lei for Glo, but he got one for Hannah who would be graduating in eight months with the same college colors ;-). Plus, as John always says, "______ deserves it!" and surely, Glo did.

While we were watching the graduates walk in, Glo made it front and center on the Jumbotron.  Her little stage-fright self was too scared to look straight into the camera, but it was so fun seeing her AND getting messages from family friends who were there and who had also seen her!

We took family pictures afterwards and then avoided all crowds and traffic by going to Glo's favorite taco joint, Don Chuey's!  It's always cute seeing the Latino workers who know my girls and speak to them in Spanish.  John was thrilled that Glo chose such a cheap and tasty joint.  As he says, "Now THAT'S my kid of meal!"

Thanksgiving point, eating at German restaurant, fine arts ceremony, taking photos, Gordon on phone, goodbye gift from Camino friends, packing, Jolley

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The FIRST of the Best Days of My Life

I'm always amazed when people can answer the question, "What was the best day of your life?"  For me, I've never had a specific answer.  The typical response of "my wedding day" doesn't work for me, because in all honesty, our wedding day was pretty sad with no family in attendance.  The second most popular answer of "the day my child was born" only conjures up feelings of pain, misery and exhaustion for me.  Really, up to this point, the best day of my life is anytime my family is together, and we are laughing, and talking, and ... being together.  I guess if I could string all of those moments into one solitary day, that would be the best day of my life. Everything changed though on Tuesday, October 27, 2015.  In fact, I feel quite relieved now, knowing that I can answer the proverbial question successfully and succinctly, for on that day, Anneliese Margaret Kennedy joined our family, and there has never been a better day in my life. Po

SURPRISE!!

When the pizza guy came to the door last night, here's what John saw: It took a few seconds for John to process who the pizza delivery man was, but when he did, he was incredibly happy (and couldn't stop saying "heeeeyyyyy....".  It was Jared Moran, John's best friend. And me, I just knelt down, right then and there, and began repenting of all the lies that I have told over the last four months, hiding this most amazing surprise :-)  I told Sarah the other day that I was glad to see the light at the end of the falsehood tunnel, because if I kept this up much longer, I was destined to end up in liars' hell... Jared ran the Air Force marathon with John last year.  It was his first marathon, and from what he told us, his last.  However, he called in June and said he was coming again, but I was supposed to keep it a surprise from John.  I'm not sure what changed his mind, but we sure are glad he did.  John hates runnings marathons alone, and ther

Stuck Between a Rock and a Hard Place

I'm writing this, not as a complaint, but as a plea.  If anyone has any advice, I would greatly appreciate it. My children are talented.  In fact, every child that I have ever met is talented in some way.  That's the fun thing about meeting kids--discovering those hidden talents. Some of the talents my children possess are very public--you guessed it...music.  Some aren't so public--kindness and generosity. My kids are frequently judged by other children because of their musical talents.  Other kids see them as "snobs" because they play their instruments well and because they are willing to share those talents whenever asked. My kids never play with arrogance.  They recognize that they are better at music than most kids their age, but they never, ever show it.  In fact, they are very generous with compliments towards other kids and their efforts with music.  I have raised them to appreciate anyone who tries to do anything with music--it's always a good