Skip to main content

The Perfect Day

"The perfect day."  That's what Rebecca called today....and it's only 2 o'clock in the afternoon ;-)

My over-arching goal for my adult life is to have a house with a pool.  I didn't need it any earlier than now, because I wanted it for one reason:  the grandkids.

Literally, my happiest memories of being a child are wrapped up in my grandparents and spending my summers in Florida.  Sometimes people talk about the horrendous childhood I had, but I wouldn't give up a moment if it means giving up that time with G-Mother and G-Dad.  They were part of the package that came along with Chuck, as did my religion, so it's all working out in the end.

My grandparents lived in Tallahassee, and when I spent my first summer with them in 1976 (at the age of six), they were living in Woodcrest Apartments while their home was being built.  It was in that apartment complex pool that I first learned to swim.  Every summer after that (for ten straight years as they always proudly told people), I spent a huge part of everyday in the pool of our neighbor, Barbra Cairns.  She was a year older than me, and by cutting through the wooded backyard of my grandparents' next door neighbors (the O'Mearas), I would walk straight up to screen door to her pool.  We were inseparable during the summers.  It's funny--I never really saw her parents at all, and occasionally I would see one of her older sisters, but for the most part, it was always just the two of us.  Of course, I was only allowed to go after I had done several hours of practicing in the morning, but when I came home famished each day, my g-mother would make me a burned grilled cheese sandwich, served with a side of potato chips and cantaloupe.  In fact, if I timed it just right, Grandad would be inside from working in the garage, and we would all sit down together for lunch at their wicker kitchen table and listen to Paul Harvey on the radio.

To this day, my favorite foods are grilled cheese sandwiches, potato chips, cantaloupe and Dr. Pepper (as well as steaks which my granddad would grill occasionally).  It's not that those foods are anything out of the ordinary, but it's that they are tied up in the sweet memories of the happy part of my childhood.

I love this quote:  "Food and memories have the power to bring back memories long forgotten.  I'll have a double order of both."  Amen.  And I guess I could add swimming to that order ;-)

So I have told John through the years that no matter where we are, or what kind of house we have, we must have a pool.  We thought for the longest time that we would have the pool behind our PA house, but thankfully we didn't make that investment.  And when we moved to La Maison (in Dexter), I reminded him that the grand babies are already here, and we need to get going on the pool.

Well thankfully, we found the perfect house with the perfect pool, because today was just about the perfect day.

We opened the pool yesterday, and because we were running the heater, the pool guys told us that we could get in in six hours (this was pared down from 2 days initially).  Side note:  the two pool guys were Hispanic, and John got his Spanish on.  Of course, when they asked him how he spoke "perfect" Spanish (yes, their words to me when John was out of ear shot), he did his usual missionary spiel about Argentina.  No need to explain further--one of them is a member of the church!  Anyway, Baby and I were counting down the hours yesterday.  She had been counting down the four days before it opened, knowing that on the fourth day (her pinky finger), we would open it.  Wednesday dawned, and she announced that it was "PINKY DAY"!!  So when 6:30 p.m. rolled around, we hopped in.  I knew she wouldn't care how cold it was, seeing that she wore a badge of courage back in Lake Michigan, and just being there with Baby, I didn't care either.  Our neighbor had stuffed off a bunch of pool toys and inflatables that we were happy to have.  We stayed in for at least an hour!

But today.  I had a bad morning when I first woke up, and Rebecca and I decided not to exercise
today, so I decided that I would take Baby out to the pool.  If nothing else, it would keep me from stress eating, and I could spend some time with her (they are leaving this weekend).  To our surprise, the pool was probably 90 degrees!  It was like a HOT TUB!  Or in the words of Baby, it was a HOT POOL!  Rebecca looked off the deck, asking us how it was, and when we told her, she came out too.  I think we were in the pool an hour and half, and it was HEAVEN!  We really didn't want to get out, but Baby and Brother needed lunch and a nap, so what did we do? I made grilled cheese, and we sat outside on the deck and ate it along with a huge bowl of cantaloupe. #heaven  Another terrific part about it all was that it is overcast today, and only in the 70s, so no sun screen was needed (which I never needed in Barbra's pool either because it was tree-covered), and sitting on the deck was perfect.

It's all about the memories, isn't it?  I want my grand babies to have this visceral memory of being at our house, being in the pool, and eating some of my favorite food.  I'm glad we're one day down in a lifetime of days <3

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The FIRST of the Best Days of My Life

I'm always amazed when people can answer the question, "What was the best day of your life?"  For me, I've never had a specific answer.  The typical response of "my wedding day" doesn't work for me, because in all honesty, our wedding day was pretty sad with no family in attendance.  The second most popular answer of "the day my child was born" only conjures up feelings of pain, misery and exhaustion for me.  Really, up to this point, the best day of my life is anytime my family is together, and we are laughing, and talking, and ... being together.  I guess if I could string all of those moments into one solitary day, that would be the best day of my life. Everything changed though on Tuesday, October 27, 2015.  In fact, I feel quite relieved now, knowing that I can answer the proverbial question successfully and succinctly, for on that day, Anneliese Margaret Kennedy joined our family, and there has never been a better day in my life. Po

Johannah's Talk

Good afternoon brothers and sisters. As they said, my name is Johannah Kennedy, and I was asked to speak on Growing in the Gospel without judgement. When Brother Bartmess extended this invitation to me, I asked if he wanted me to focus on how to let go of our judgment of others in order to grow in the Gospel, or how to grow in Gospel when we feel judged by others. He paused, smiled, and said, “Both.” So, I’m going to do my very best to cover both topics in fifteen minutes.   I want to start by talking about how to let go of our natural tendency to judge others in order to grow in the Gospel. Unfortunately, the temptation to notice the weaknesses of those around us is often too hard to resist, and sometimes, we do it without even realizing it. When we meet someone for the first time, our minds naturally assess their appearance, their voice, their facial expressions, and their way of interacting with others. This first impression can often mean the difference between our inclination to e

Stuck Between a Rock and a Hard Place

I'm writing this, not as a complaint, but as a plea.  If anyone has any advice, I would greatly appreciate it. My children are talented.  In fact, every child that I have ever met is talented in some way.  That's the fun thing about meeting kids--discovering those hidden talents. Some of the talents my children possess are very public--you guessed it...music.  Some aren't so public--kindness and generosity. My kids are frequently judged by other children because of their musical talents.  Other kids see them as "snobs" because they play their instruments well and because they are willing to share those talents whenever asked. My kids never play with arrogance.  They recognize that they are better at music than most kids their age, but they never, ever show it.  In fact, they are very generous with compliments towards other kids and their efforts with music.  I have raised them to appreciate anyone who tries to do anything with music--it's always a good